School:University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- 3 Faculty Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- 4 Facilitating Universities-Industry Collaboration
- 5 Region and Local Economic Development Effort
- 6 Related Links
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is a land-grant, historically black college founded in 1886 as the Delaware Conference Academy. Since its beginning, the institution has had several name changes and governing bodies. It was Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970, when it became one of the five campuses that formed the University of Maryland. In 1988, it became a member of the then eleven campus (now thirteen) University of Maryland System, now known as the University System of Maryland . UMES is approved by the state of Maryland and fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Student Organizations on Campus
American Marketing Association- Connects marketers and academics with the people and resorces with the people and resources they need to be sucessful.
- AMA International Collegiate Conference
- Interships and Scholarships
- Certification Programs
Enactus (Formally known as Students in Free Enterprise)- Enactus is an international non-profit organization that works with leaders in business and higher education to mobilize university students to make a difference in their communities while developing the skills to become socially responsible business leaders.
- Enactus teams practice entrepreneuship through the implecation of economic opportunity projects and educational outreach intiatives
- Enactus World Cup competions
- Scholarships and Awards
Sports Marketing and Entrepreneurship Club
Campus Kitchens Product
- UMES Hospitality andTourism Management students at Shady Grove campus patnered with local chefs in making special nutritious meals the initiative helps in raising funds which is then used to help the needy in the society.
Richard Henson Honors Program
- Encourages students to participate in competitive technological innovations in exchange of rewards. Currently there is a competition for dvelopment of a campus app.
Faculty Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Faculty Contributions- Courses and Centers
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Robotic and Automatic Design Lab
- Space Systems Design
- Embedded Systems Design Lab
- Living Marine Research Cooperative Science Center
- Food Science and Technology
- Entrepreneurs and scholars special function days - (Consists of lectures, discussions and workshops aimed at motivating and educating students on innovation and starting their own businesses.
- Construction management Technology labs. - students exposed and introduced to research techniques and innovation of new building materials which if successful, will be an entrepreneurial opportunity.
- Hospitality Entrepreneurial institute (HEI) purpose of the capstone course is to merge entrepreneurial insights with the knowledge students have had from previous hospitality courses.
- UMES also are in the process of building a new science , technology, engineering and mathematics building which will enhance facilitation of STEM programs in the university.
- The unversity is also expanding and diversifying it's programs. currently, there are 38 undergraduate programs, 13 graduate programs and 7 doctoral programs.
- There is also an increased emphasis on developing online degree programs to broaden accessibility to educational opportunities.
Facilitating Universities-Industry Collaboration
- USDA- Rural Development
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute
- National Science Foundation Support
- Maryland Fish and Wildlife Cooperative Research Unit
- Coastal Ecology Teaching and Research Center Black Entrepreneurship Lectures
- National oceanic and atmospheric administration (NOOA)-
- In colloboration with UMES hold national science education forums for students and educators.
Region and Local Economic Development Effort
UMES Solar Farm
These solar panels located on old farm space, creates energy that the school uses in order to save energy. The savings amount to about 15% in the total energy costs for UMES.
1890 Maryland Cooperative Extension
This programs provides money to support local economic development projects. UMES is designated as an Economic Development Administration University Center. This means that they work in concert with the U.S. Department of Commerce to provide technical assistance to public and private sector organizations with the goal of enhancing local economic development.
University of Maryland Eastern Shore Student Priorities
University of Maryland Easternshore Key Magazine